Here are my favorite Roses, i started them from a cutting of a hedge that is growing on an old homestead . The buildings are long gone but the rose hedge survived the years. I wish those roses could talk. Who planted them ? How long ago ? and about the Family that was displaced after the Base took over the land.
Some history :
this was the old school that stood not far from the homestead, we use to drive by it for years on our way to Saint John, then one day it was torn down. I felt sad seeing the ruins and another piece of history gone.
I know some of the families didn't want to leave and i wonder what it must been like having to leave everything you know, farms that where there for generations.
The roses live on though and maybe they still will be here long after I'm gone


10 comments:
I'm sure the roses bring as much joy to you as they did to the first person who planted them. Roses are like that.
Oh but roses CAN talk. Inhale the fragrance of those beautiful flowers and listen to it whisper... :)
Hi. That's a lovely rose. I think it's always special to have things which connect us to the past.
I'll always have a soft spot for Rosa Frensham which my Paternal Grandmother grew in her garden from a cutting, hence it was very delicate looking. Roseraie de L'Hay is a favourite from my mother's garden. And Rosa Ballerina, Mundi and Albertine were also grown by my mother.
Vita Sackville West said that seeing a familiar plant was like greeting an old friend and that is really how I feel when I see them!
Bearfriend xx
Love those roses. And that old schoolhouse sort of reminds me of the little schoolhouse where I went to kindergarten. Some beautiful memories there.
Mary
My goodness!
They are beautiful.
What do you feed them besides Love.
This is the one flower that I can't seem to keep alive after their first year blooming. sigh!
The roses are lovely, especially so because they hold memories. You did well to grow it from a cutting. I looks very healthy. Do you do wnything special to it?
when you stop and think about how brave our ancestors were. like my ggggrandfather..he just packed up his wife, 93 kids and came to texas from north carolina.buckboards with all their belonging..not knowing where they were really going or what was going to happen to them when they got there..weather, elements, and indians...scary shit.
I'm fascinated by the first settlers and the pioneers...what brave brave people they where.
The roses make wonderful photos. They also make lovely posies as I was visited by a friend today, who gave me some roses of all colours from her garden. It is a great pity that roses never seem to last long in water.
That little old school house looks as though it is miles from anywhere, surrounded by flat land. It looks rather lonely!
Maggie X
Nuts in May
That's a lovely rose indeed! With those slightly veined and marked petals it reminds me of one I found on an old fence in Central Seattle - and struck it, too.
My mother used to strike rose cuttings right in the ground. I can't trust the California climate well enough for that - it gets too dry here.
Lovely rose, and thanks for visiting my blog.
Post a Comment